Go Back   420 Genetics > Cultivation Forums > Organic Cultivation
Home Forum Grow Guides Gallery Strain Guides Links Arcade Rules
Site Map Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Organic Cultivation Growing 100% Naturally?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Amber Trichomes

Current Mood:
Style: Default Blue
Default New Wormbin

I got this very suitable container at a local store for an extremely fair price. No holes as handles for my adventurous worms to crawl through. It has a lid that gives me the impression it'll last quite some time and it isn't designed to fabricate wormpulp.
Funny sidenote: it comes from Sweden.
http://www.hammarplast.com/?id=1344&...&FolderSearch=
There is a bigger storage box available, but that wasn't in stock here. Now I have to drill gazillions of tiny holes in mine.
TF1 #500
Old 03-19-2008, 07:47 PM
In the Veg Cycle

Current Mood:

Nice box DDM. Mind if I go one better? Yes itīs HAMMER PLAST!

I was in the toyshop looking for a birthday present for my daughter and look what I found. A micro SOG box! Built by hammer plast. Its designed for Lego and such. Of course I instantly saw the potential Each "pot" is 2L.

It cost me 100 Swedish Kroner (almost exactly 10 Euros). Pure bargain IMO..Pity but luckily for me it was the last one.

MG
Old 03-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Amber Trichomes

Current Mood:

That's cheap and a great tray for the 2 L pots. It's great for keeping them legos away as well. I'm currently drilling holes casually, since it's a tedious work.
TF1 #500
Old 03-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Diogenes Reincarnate

Bud of the Month
Bud of the Month 
Total Awards: 1

Heya DDM,
Was wondering if you would go over your "recipe/process" for your compost.
While I understand the process and reasoning, have never really looked into specific compost mixes.
I am a hydro guy as you know, but have done organic numerous times in past using EB stone potting potting soil and guano teas with wormcastings and mychorizae. Results were decent, but not even close to my hydro grows.

I am obtaining strains that really would be difficult to do in dro, and need to refine my organic skills a bit. 4-6+ month flower tmes are not going to happen on my tables. Hahahaha.

Have you used guano teas before?
If so, have you found a pre composted, ammeded organic soil to perform better than the teas?
I would like some opinions on composted organics, and what works the best for you, and why. Just curious as to what seems to work best for you dirt chuckers. LOL
Sorry if this is off topic. I can start a different thread if you wish.

Cheers
"I desire knowledge by nature", the words of Aristotle, my nature is not to hate you. So I try to put myself in the depths of the other man, peace to my brother man, in search of my place in this world to discover man, DAMN check out the colors man...
Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 AM
A New Sprout

i re-use my pro-mix, and i ammend it and the new pro-mix.

pro-mix, blood and bone meal. composted chicken shit, and worm castings. and cow manure when i can get it. i use chicken shit tea for my plants and they love it. organic mixes grow amazing weed. and re-used soil, or soiless mix is great. i also add some crushed oyster shell, and crushed egg shell for buffering.

some micro-life and components of the soil will not break down in the 3 months it takes or so to grow and harvest a plant. re-used and ammended the soil becomes more active, and grows better plants.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:43 AM
Diogenes Reincarnate

Bud of the Month
Bud of the Month 

Interesting Chicken. And thank you for the reply.
Is there any particular reason you choose the amendments you do?
In other words, do you use the blood and bone meal because it is more readily available than say guanos, or because you find it to perform the best for your mix?
In what ratios do you add the above amendments?
Do you allow the mix to compost or ferment before reuse, or just add the ingredients and go?

I also am wondering if any of you have used guanos, wormcastings etc to ammend the soil and in what ratios. When making guano teas I would use 1 tablespoon per gallon of whatever guano was called for at the time. But better have a clothes on your oldfactory sensor receptor, because it was quite nasty.

What I am looking for is an ammeded soil recipe for tropical landrace sativas. I am not sure if anyone here has any experience with tropical landrace sativas with extended flowering times. I am sure I could get by just fine with guano teas as I have used in the past, however, I would prefer just utilizing an amended soil if possible.
The thing about tropical landrace sativas, they dont like a lot of any nute, and once they start flowering, very little N, and none after a mere few weeks. While this sounds like a normal feeding routine, think about a 4-6 month (or possibly up to a year) long flower cycle.

And DDM, if this is too far off topic for you, just let me know, I'll start a fresh thread. Dont want to clutter yours up.
"I desire knowledge by nature", the words of Aristotle, my nature is not to hate you. So I try to put myself in the depths of the other man, peace to my brother man, in search of my place in this world to discover man, DAMN check out the colors man...
Old 03-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Amber Trichomes

Current Mood:

Hi use. Thanks for all the interest. I'm not that far with my bin preparation and the thread is very active already.
I have not grown with guano yet, except some of my purchased soil mixes had it already. I do teas with alfalfa, worm castings or the bin runoff and molasses. Once I added overripe grapes to the tea bag, to provide sugar for a more fungi based tea - that was one of the best I ever made. Regular waterings are straight out of the fishtank and adjusted, except in the final three weeks.

I'm not growing in soil anymore. I apply my methods to coco now.
Currently I'm experimenting with a mix 10 : 1 castings and a handful of alfalfa, "Gesteinsmehl", hoof meal and an organic tomato fertilizer two tsp. each (per brick) and letting it sit a few days up to two weeks. You can grow straight in the castings as well. Another option is the cavy manure which can be added as well, but I think having it processed by the worms is even better, we'll see.

Another thought or two on tropical sativas: I guess you can pot up along the "vegetative" stage even in 12/12. Looking at tropical soils, I think it's more the life than the nutrients in it, that makes them available for the plants. Look at how tropical forests work.
Second is the light. I'd think going up into the 6000 - 10000 K departement could be interesting. The lights that are used for tropical fish come to mind.
TF1 #500

Last edited by Don de Marco; 03-21-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Diogenes Reincarnate

Bud of the Month
Bud of the Month 

Yea, there are some tricks with lighting I have used on a 20 week P Haze I did before. Either vertical bulbs/with no reflectors. If using reflectors run them at an angle off the side. Use a far bluer spectrum etc. Basically I drop a 400 MH and let the plant off to the side of my 2K HPS. So it gets a bit of lower K lighting but most is blue spectrum. RUnning a light on a track light mover (straight rail, not circle). Etc. High Temps, high Rh. Blah Blah BLah and yada yada yada. LOL
Another thing about tropicals, some prefer intense lighting, some prefer mild lighting intensity. I think this is mostly due to geographic origins. I think the ones that do not like intense light, are used to a dense thick jungle canoy providing a bit less light than cultivars from an area with a less dense jungle canopy. Just my theory on that, since I have never gone to collect seeds from exotic locations...lmao
But I have drifted onto a rather long tangent, so lets revert back to the topic at hand.

I just have never used any composting/ ameding of soils and wondering what "ingredients" at what ratios work best for you dirt chucker folks.
Cheers and thanks for the reply fellas.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Amber Trichomes

Current Mood:

Don't ask.
TF1 #500
Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
In the Veg Cycle

Current Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken
pro-mix, blood and bone meal. composted chicken shit, and worm castings. and cow manure when i can get it.
I can get composted cow manure readily. In fact I have a 50L bag of it. Got any advice regarding its usage? atm I am using it about 40% in my soil mix. What about manure tea? Have a recipe I can use?

Also apologies for the hijack DDM, hope you dont mind..

MG