Go Back   420 Genetics > Cultivation Forums > Strains & Crosses > Breeding Forum
Home Forum Grow Guides Gallery Strain Guides Links Arcade Rules
Site Map Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Breeding Forum Discuss Your Breeding Tactics Here

Old 06-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Amber Trichomes

Current Mood:
Style: Default Blue
Default selfed male?

Ok folks, first of all, I was lucky to get a pack of Ogerskush S1 from cali kush to a very modest price (before they disappeared and the OG became a hype).

I had very good results from this batch so far. I experienced two different phenos, one more stocky indica pheno and a Ghost like lanky one. The latter pheno proved to be one of my favourites.
Now I sprouted new seeds and selected for vigor and smell in veg, assuming all were females from said batch. I cloned the best smelling plant and started flowering a clone for producing a new cross with a trusted male, I currently keep.
That wonderful vigorous Ogerskush turned out to be a male
And by the looks of it, it seems to be a "genuine" stud.

That's not what I expected, but good news none the less.

How can this happen? As far as I can understand this is that selfed seeds have a xxx or xxy chromosome triple (if I'm wrong here, my whole theory is wrong as well).
If there is a slight hermaphrodite tendency in the "parental" material, the offspring might be xyy (I can imagine a yy or xy in the offspring as well).

Since OG is related to Diesel this might be plausible, since Diesel might be related to a (Massachusetts???) Super Skunk that hermied.

Any inputs on that?
TF1 #500
Old 06-15-2007, 06:28 PM
A New Sprout

ok so i'm confused did you flower this same plant before and it was female? The way you said it makes it sound like you just grew a seed and hoped it to be female without sexing it and it just truend out male. So not sure what your question is.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Amber Trichomes

Current Mood:

I grew selfed seeds, that are supposed to be female. The question was: How can a batch of selfed seeds produce a male? Is my attempt of explaining it pointing in the right direction?
TF1 #500
Old 06-15-2007, 07:47 PM
A New Sprout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don de Marco
I grew selfed seeds, that are supposed to be female. The question was: How can a batch of selfed seeds produce a male? Is my attempt of explaining it pointing in the right direction?
because you probably made the same mistake a lot of people make assuming crossing or self crossing with a herm plant will produce femenised seeds when all it does is increase the allele frequency for the hermi trait which is why a lot of people do this then grow them out and sex them as females but then half way through flower bananas start poping out. Some show the trait early like 3 weeks into flower and some wait till 5th to last week to start showing. You can end up with a pure female but more than likely since the hermaphordites traits were being expressed over powering the norm the trait is passed down the lineage in a higher frequency than true females and males although males that revert back to females are pretty damn rare i've only seen it once. Do make femenised seeds properly you need giberellic acid (sp? pretty sure that the right way for this compound) or you can look up the STS method with uses silver thiosulfate in solution to be applied to the plants as a treament for sex reversal some people try putting seeds in these solutions thinking that makes them feminised but thats just fucking retarded, you apply the treatment to the plant you want to designate as the new father. this method is how it is really done and you will get maybe 1 out of 5 or 10 thousand that will herm but then again that also depends on how pure and clean the breed line was the begin with.

Here ya go i had to go and find this for ya its a pretty easy walkthrough of the process of using STS which is way easier to aquire and use compared to giberellic acid. http://www.planetganja.com/highsocie...ad.php?t=11362

Pretty crazy how the sex chromosomes are controlled by ethylene and how once the STS is administered the production of ethylene stops and the plant begins to change to a male and relying more on its x chromosome. crazy shit man!

Last edited by Skunky; 06-15-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Amber Trichomes

Current Mood:

lol, I didn't made the seeds, I bought a pack Ogerskush S1 from cks via gypme. I assume they're made by selfing a cutting, since Ogerskush is clone only. And I have a male (not a hermie) from that batch of selfed seeds.
anyway
Ogerskush @ 420gen strainguide:
http://www.420genetics.com/forum/str...traininfo&c=20
TF1 #500
Old 06-15-2007, 08:38 PM
A New Sprout

I would see if you would tell you what technique they used to create them probably some cheap gay way like stressing them out or allowing them to flower too long, tell them you already bought them and got a male so whats up?
Old 06-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Amber Trichomes

Current Mood:

I think they're out of business, lol. That male is fine. I bought the seeds almost two years ago
TF1 #500
Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Moderator DGAF

Bud of the Month
Bud of the Month Bud of the Month Bud of the Month 
Total Awards: 3

Current Mood:

even with selfed seeds, or any other advertised female seeds, id think there would still always be the slight possibility of a male popping out from time to time, no matter what kind of breeding went into it. it is mother nature after all....

just my opinion

RIP Juno 2.26.07
RIP Lobo 10.18.12
Old 06-16-2007, 02:20 AM
A New Sprout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowherefast
even with selfed seeds, or any other advertised female seeds, id think there would still always be the slight possibility of a male popping out from time to time, no matter what kind of breeding went into it. it is mother nature after all....

just my opinion
I know with my experience with the silver thiosulfate technique I've never had a prob pure fems everysingle time! It's not too hard and I've read people who have used this in mass quantities and had great turnouts. Supposedly you can get it to were only one out of every say ten thousand will herm. The one thing that can fuck this all up is crossing a female that turns herm. Meaning the plant you dedicate as the mom turns hermi after you pollenate it with the other female you changed to male. The giberellic acid method is pretty easy too maybe useless can tell ya about that, I've done it before but I find the GA harder to aquire than STS, which is odd when you are a biologist.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Ready to Harvest

Bud of the Month
Bud of the Month Bud of the Month Bud of the Month Bud of the Month Bud of the Month 
Total Awards: 7

Current Mood:
Style: Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don de Marco
Ok folks, first of all, I was lucky to get a pack of Ogerskush S1 from cali kush to a very modest price (before they disappeared and the OG became a hype).

I had very good results from this batch so far. I experienced two different phenos, one more stocky indica pheno and a Ghost like lanky one. The latter pheno proved to be one of my favourites.
Now I sprouted new seeds and selected for vigor and smell in veg, assuming all were females from said batch. I cloned the best smelling plant and started flowering a clone for producing a new cross with a trusted male, I currently keep.
That wonderful vigorous Ogerskush turned out to be a male
And by the looks of it, it seems to be a "genuine" stud.

That's not what I expected, but good news none the less.

How can this happen? As far as I can understand this is that selfed seeds have a xxx or xxy chromosome triple (if I'm wrong here, my whole theory is wrong as well).
If there is a slight hermaphrodite tendency in the "parental" material, the offspring might be xyy (I can imagine a yy or xy in the offspring as well).

Since OG is related to Diesel this might be plausible, since Diesel might be related to a (Massachusetts???) Super Skunk that hermied.

Any inputs on that?
that mass strain is also known as chem dog its been around for a while as i know it . it made its way to NY and the name was changed to NYSD then to cali were it was yet renamed og kush but yes the chemdog i can get is clone only and does have the tendency to throw out bananas last few weeks but if you seen the buds it produces you would deal with the bananas trust me. i got sick of it and also i wanted to try a new method so i would end up harvesting 1/4 of the garden every 2 weeks and with plants at all different stages i was afraid those bananas would seed up my younger ladies