Go Back   420 Genetics > Cultivation Forums > Indoor Cultivation > Micro Growing
Home Forum Grow Guides Gallery Strain Guides Links Arcade Rules
Site Map Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2008, 10:28 AM
In the Veg Cycle

Current Mood:

All Sadhus are now sexed and looking in excellent health. The results are 7 fems and 2 males . I havent taken any pics yet but I will take some and post them later today. I will be making some F2's this time.

MG
Old 02-14-2008, 05:52 PM
In the Veg Cycle

Current Mood:

Ok here is a pic of how the box is looking now. You can see the two males in the top left of the pic a bit further away from the 200W enviro. The seven plants circled round the enviro are the fems. Of 18 germinated Sadhu beans we have had 15 females!

I guess this grow is almost like a semi-aquaponic kind of setup. If I am successful in flowering these plants in their tiny 1L pots which so far seems to be the case then I will be sticking with this setup because I figure I can get 20 plants squeezed into that box. So far they have had been fed 1ml/L biobizz grow in aquarium water which provides the micros. The last two feedings I have upped the grow to about 1.5 ml/L and they are starting to get quite thirsty so as well as feeding every two days I am going to water them daily with the aquarium water. In about 2 weeks I will give them a flowering tea with a little algomin for extra micros and add some biobizz bloom to the bi-daily feeding schedule.

p.s. for anyone wondering about the hole in the back of the box it doesnt matter because the room the box is in is in pitch blackness during the dark period so light leaks are no issue.

MG
Old 02-15-2008, 08:33 AM
In the Veg Cycle

Current Mood:

The lanky male you can see at the back next to the hole in the box was discarded last night. I dont want any of its pollen getting released in the room as it is too tall. The F2īs will be fathered by this male:

I really should clean my growroom

MG
Old 03-11-2008, 12:10 AM
In the Veg Cycle

Current Mood:

We are about 6 weeks in to flower on this one. Only about 3 weeks to go.

All in all I am happy with the results so far in this grow. My Sadhus have shown various phenos from very short indica and taller phenos with indica looking bud structures and one very sativa influenced plant right down to the flower structure. As expected the Sativa pheno seems like she will take a bit longer to finish as she is showing much less trics than the others which are piling them on thick and fast. All plants have shown healthy growth (any burning you can see is from the lights). I am feeding them a fairly heavy dose of biobizz nutes in aquarium water every day to keep them happy in their tiny 1L pots- 4ml bloom and 2 ml bloom per litre plus they get a little extra in the form of mollases and epsoms since about a week ago. 1 plant (the second tallest and my least favourite) was taken down yesterday for emergency meds so we are down to 6.

Here is a better pic...

See the four plants in the middle? The ones in the blue rubbermaid? They are the beginnings of my new "semi-hydro organic grow" idea fuelled by DDM's JS

Anyway, I just put it together today and decided to put the idea to the test directly. The idea is like ebb and flood with no ebb lol and is based on what I found here: http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1534.html It should work very simple.....The bottom 3" of the blue rubbermaid is filled with an organic product I found last season that literally translated is "Volcanic Stones". I dont know if it is the same as "volcanic rock" but it has slow-release N-P-K-Mg-S-Fe-Mn-Zn-Cu and is very high in silicone and holds water for weeks. The advantage of using this product is that I can put in enough water for 2-3 weeks in it and it wont go stangnant or anything. It is marketed as a way for people to keep their plants watered while they go on holiday and stuff and claims to keep away the bad guys...ie bad bacterias, fungus and even bugs of various types, no root-rot . So the theory is simple....top roots in the soil specialize in nute uptake and the bottom roots should work their way into the saturated volcanic rock for water uptake mimicking nature pretty much perfectly and resulting in a larger and more specialized rootmass and bigger plants from my 1L pots. The next crop or two will be done using this method and hopefully I can dial it in to produce fairly impressive results......we shall all see.....

I'll continue tomorrow.....

Ok lets continue. The system will just require a small daily feeding and a top up of the rez every couple of weeks. There is space between the pots which will allow fresh oxygen to the roots too. Also the Vulkansten ("volcanic stones") have a ph value of 6-7 and save me from PH downing too so its a fairly low maintanance system and my thoughts are that it should work fairly good.

I am going to see if I can get more of these volcanic stones too so I can make the rez a good bit bigger (I already used up what I had) and am considering cutting the bottoms out of the tiny pots and replacing them a thin layer (2-3mm) of oasis to seperate the soil from the rez in the next grow (which will be lowryder 2 again) but according to the bag on the vulkansten it should cause no problems as it is; because the stones prevent the soil from contaminating the water and i am making sure I only feed about 100ml to each plant each day which will prevent runoff.

The plants above obviously wont be a conclusive test as they only went in the system yesterday just to see if it helps their last three weeks. I have lowryder F2's though that will be put through the system from start to finish starting in the next few days if i can get the stones.

I would appreciate any feedback so please feel free to chime in with any plusses or negatives you can find with the vulkanstens or anything else..

MG

Last edited by MigrowGrower; 03-11-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Diogenes Reincarnate

Bud of the Month
Bud of the Month 
Total Awards: 1

Mind if I pull up a chair?
I nave used lava rock many times. I dont know if it is the same thing as your Vulcanstens or not?
What color are your stones?
I cant see lava rock breaking down fast enough to provide any nutrients to a plant on a shert term basis. Also, my lava rock is PH neutral, as your apparently is. It will not control PH, it simply will have no effect on it. So I think you will still need Ph adjusters.
But again, I dont know if your stones are the same as mine or not....
"I desire knowledge by nature", the words of Aristotle, my nature is not to hate you. So I try to put myself in the depths of the other man, peace to my brother man, in search of my place in this world to discover man, DAMN check out the colors man...
Old 03-11-2008, 05:26 PM
In the Veg Cycle

Current Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
What color are your stones?
They are grey. Just like tiny bits of pumice...2-8mm chunks. They also have the rusty red colour like lava rocks but I chose the grey one. The water turns grey immediatly on contact with them becoming clouded with the smaller particles, thats what leads me to believe it will buffer the PH of my water (which is around 7). I will test this for sure. The bag says it gives long term nutrients for 4-6 months....
Old 03-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Diogenes Reincarnate

Bud of the Month
Bud of the Month 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigrowGrower
They are grey. Just like tiny bits of pumice...2-8mm chunks. They also have the rusty red colour like lava rocks but I chose the grey one. The water turns grey immediatly on contact with them becoming clouded with the smaller particles, thats what leads me to believe it will buffer the PH of my water (which is around 7). I will test this for sure. The bag says it gives long term nutrients for 4-6 months....
Interesting medium there MG. Different from what I use/have used.
I would like to see the results, and whether you or not you have any issues with these stones, or if they perform as describied.

Cheers
"I desire knowledge by nature", the words of Aristotle, my nature is not to hate you. So I try to put myself in the depths of the other man, peace to my brother man, in search of my place in this world to discover man, DAMN check out the colors man...
Old 03-11-2008, 05:42 PM
In the Veg Cycle

Current Mood:

Here are some more pics to illustrate...

The box today after I made a few changes...12 LR #2 F2's in the left and shallower white boxes for the rez's for less loss of light. 4L stones in each rez.

The bag of stones...

Stones in the rez..

Old 03-11-2008, 06:22 PM
In the Veg Cycle

Current Mood:

Here are some pics of the medium from the company's website.

MG
Old 03-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Amber Trichomes

Current Mood:
Style: Default Blue

I recognize them. I had some in a pot with a desert plant in it. But I never found any of that media here. They just look like Seramis but grey, Seramis is red and fabricated. I have btw. two LRs going and one was pollinated with the OGer, making an "Automatic Oger" maybe. 1/3rd of the offspring should be autoflowering, right?
TF1 #500