Go Back   420 Genetics > Cultivation Forums > Strains & Crosses > Breeding Forum
Home Forum Grow Guides Gallery Strain Guides Links Arcade Rules
Site Map Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Breeding Forum Discuss Your Breeding Tactics Here

Old 03-31-2005, 11:33 PM
Banned

Default Cannabis Breeding for the Layman

Cannabis Breeding Theories In Layman's Terms More or Less

You can call me Pound4Pound and I pride myself in preserving and breeding the unique properties within the cannabis genome, in an attempt to further quantify cannabis breeding research and pioneer a new horizon. To understand my passion you must first take into account that I have dedicated over half of my life into this plant as a means of spirituality, relaxation, tradition, and income. I am a 2nd generation cannabis cultivator; my parent stock was inherited and mostly kept virgin for decades (sans the occasional outdoor test). In the beginning I had 9 unique Sativa mothers including 3 distinct males and from these 12 plants I have recombined their genotypes multiple times with varying degrees of success and failure. Presently I am working on 13 separate varieties and that is over 50 hours of labor a week between 3 people. Properly manipulating cannabis is a long and arduous task. Success in breeding is overrated simply because in my opinion even an initial f1 cross between almost any two distinct parents (especially sativa inbred lines to indica ibls) will yield more than likely positive results! So why not stop with the simple hybrid f1s? I believe within the cannabis genome are laden recessive traits never before truly expressed to appear in subsequent generations such as cognitive and nervous system enhancing cannabinoids, life altering pain relief, sensually stimulating aphorismatic aromas, respiratory and circulatory regeneration, and even mood stabilizing precursors found naturally in cannabis and humans beyond what is recognized today.

In order to Ň’reasure hunt within the cannabis genome you will need suitable parents and preferably know their history. Without the proper stock to choose from your results will more than likely not satisfy your mission. If you have minimal to no history for your plant, take the time to grow her out and find out how she is before you proceed, it could save you an entire project! Breeding then begins with the union of the male and female gametes from the parents or P1 individuals to produce the first filial generation or f1 cross. When two unique genotypes interbreed initially larger more vigorous plants are the result from something called hybrid vigor. The dominant traits typically prevail superceding, laden recessive traits that will appear (assuming a parent was homozygous for that trait) during the f2 cross. When the offspring of the f1 are inbred this is known as the second filial generation or f2 cross.

Within the f2 offspring, great care must be taken in documenting each noteworthy subject from seed to consumption because possibly within are a few are traits that could very well be the Ň’reasure you seek. This is where in my opinion breeding begins, with a vision or set path. A breeder such as myself is farsighted when it comes to postulating what I desire above all else; distinctive, stable yet unrivaled stock. In the f2 generation assuming you used stable initial parent stock you will find a multitude of diverse individuals and it is your job to essentially select favorable traits to preserve in subsequent generations. I feel selection must be so harsh that if you do not find a reflection of the qualities you seek or expect, either you should begin again with dissimilar parents or evolve your image of the future of your new project.

Personally I find that the f2 population is so diverse not only recessive traits present themselves but, even exaggerated representations of the original parents, and what I call Ň—seudo over achievers arise. These Ň—seudo over achievers look the part , and outperform similar specimens in certain categories but eventually prove to not breed true for desired the characteristics. If you find something you feel might be suitable, take the time to grow it out and examine its properties extensively before you continue with another cross. Within the fruit lies the wisdom. Also keep in mind that if you are selecting for a specific characteristic such as early floral maturation the odds of successfully passing on that trait are greater than if you were selecting for multiple traits such as potency, maturation and scent. As in your grow operation it is always better to K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) and the same applies to any amateur breeder!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:34 PM
Banned

Inbreeding, Interbreeding and Beyond

Cannabis has a diverse history, which happens to encapsulate an enigma as to her ancient ancestry. Personally I have yet to pinpoint cannabis origins but I tend to believe she is a gift for God himself. Unique cannabis strains that are purebred or hybrid share a measureless (as yet) quantity of varying genetic information within the genome and theoretically there are many years of work ahead of us before we begin to fully grasp her amazing potential. Over recent years thousands of individual seed banks have pioneered the evolution of cannabis by offering an enormous multitude of breeds fit for any palate. Some have postulated cannabis can fuel our exploration beyond the reaches of our solar system into a new frontier, I believe this to be the truth.

You will find rarely does a plant breeds true for all desired characteristics. Painstakingly great care must be taken in isolating comparable stock, which presents desired traits so that varying genetic combinations are examined and potentially faultless inheritance is not overlooked. Preferably diverse fathers should be use in the development of separate lineages consequently. By taking your ideal theory in multiple directions you will multiply your chances of acquiring desired results exponentially. Never put all your eggs in one basket when breeding! *Breeding for fewer specific traits increases the probability of success*

If this happens to be your first time breeding with a particular father now would be a good time to begin testing his General Combining Ability or the dominant characteristics he passes onto other mothers. Speculating from visible inspection is a valuable tool but only as a step into excavating profound understanding of the specimen√‘ capabilities. Cultivating the population and tasting her fruits then putting together the data and cross analyzing your results with your expectations is a good way to follow through with your project. After you see how that particular father performs with varying mothers, certain traits will complement others and vice versa thus giving you an insightful comprehension of your particular father√‘ dominance. Not such an easy task but who said breeding was easy?

Where do you go after have found new desirable stock in the f2 generation? The choice is yours but there are many deterrents along the way such as unfavorable traits laden in the future crosses, inbreeding depression, adaptability, loss of predatory resistance, and mutations to name a few. In the face of adversity hundreds of new varieties have arose that please the entire spectrum of the cannabis consumers and that is also a fact. Great care must be taken if you have found a suitable candidate you wish to preserve. Begin with a simple backcross to explore the prevalence of desired traits or instead by taking the new stock and crossing it to another similar variety will preserve similarities and increase vigor as well as other factors in tandem. Backcrossing is the practice of breeding your hybrid with an original parent to attempt to isolate desired traits. As soon as the 3rd backcross you could find yourself experiencing inbreeding depression and various mutations although strains such as skunk have been inbred over 10 generations with no reported loss of vigor. All is not lost if you are proceeding with separate but similar lines if your goals are not met.

As a breeder you must be shrewd, innovative, patient and take pride in your work. I keep a diary for each new clone with simple notation related to its growth, tendencies, deficiencies, and compatibility within the umbrella of the project. The Raw data from each clone will facilitate progress in future projects and help avoid mistakes. Understanding how fickle cannabis can be and her exceptional ability to express recessive traits both acceptable and undesirable will help you polish your skills in breeding.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:01 AM
A New Sprout

Great information P4P...
Old 04-25-2005, 12:51 AM
A New Sprout

Default pound 4 pound

Very nice!